Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Neurosis. Go Get You Some.

Main Entry: neu·ro·sis
Pronunciation: \nu̇-ˈrō-səs, nyu̇-\
Function: noun
Inflected Form(s): plural neu·ro·ses \-ˌsēz\
Etymology: New Latin
Date: circa 1784

: a mental and emotional disorder that affects only part of the personality, is accompanied by a less distorted perception of reality than in a psychosis, does not result in disturbance of the use of language, and is accompanied by various physical, physiological, and mental disturbances as visceral symptoms, anxieties, or phobias.

***

My twelve hour shift last night can be broken down into two parts. The first part, in which I was sure I was dying and the second part, where I knew I wasn't dying.

It is not easier to call a paramedic when you know them personally and they are only walking distance away. It is not easier when you know the paramedic that is attaching electrodes to your body.

I'm fine. Blood pressure is great, normal heart rhythm, blood sugar fantastic. I think the combination of old lady hormones, severe female cramps and the added bonus of bad rain pain caused some anxiety that spiraled out of control.

It DOES make it easier afterwards to know the paramedic when he can make you laugh and not feel so bad about calling.

1 comment:

La La said...

heh heh Yeah, right.