Thursday, March 3, 2011

I Love The Coolness Of This Band Director

In high school, I was in marching band. Thinking back, it was the main thing I really enjoyed about high school. I was blessed with two very musically talented children and when they entered high school, I got to experience the whole marching band thing all over again, except through my children's eyes. My son gave me even more with two years of college marching band.

My daughter was in choir but she also joined the marching band and did flags for a couple of years. It was awesomeness having both my kids in the same band.
The song this band is playing is by Rage Against The Machine and the song is called Killing In the Name. You can check out Rage Against The Machine performing this song here. I'll add a caution for strong language. I can say with one hundred percent certainty that there would have been NO way our school would have let us cover this song, but it sure would have been fun. I applaud the open mindedness of this director.

Before a marching band ever hits the field with their marching routine, they first have to learn and memorize their music. This video shows a typical marching band practice in case some of you are curious why they have no chairs, and why they are not on a field.

Please take note of the red shirted piccolo girl. She will one day be 43 years old and think back on this time and remember that this was what she enjoyed the most about high school.

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqG4oSfQYIY

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can dig it.

Anonymous said...

Heh heh--funny to hear an entire band getting together to play a song about non-conformity.

Seriously, that was sofa king cool! I like RATM, and I've seen Tom Morello's new band Street Sweeper Social Club a couple times. Tough to top a badass horn section for a powerful sound--Morphine, Mighty Mighty BossTones, etc.