Friday, March 12, 2010

Just Leave Me Alone

You may or may not have figured out by now that I don't interact with many people outside of my immediate family very often. Even at work, contact with other people is rare. This is of my choosing.

If I could add one thing to this house where I live, it would be a fence. Well... only after I put in a washer and dryer first. I like my privacy... and to do my own laundry in my own house without having to cart it around.

So it's another beautiful day and my daughter came to visit this morning. While she was here, I introduced her to Wizard101, an online game that sucked me in and has sucked away almost all of my blogging initiative because I can't quit playing! Needless to say, it sucked her in, too, and I found myself not knowing what to do because I couldn't sit in front of my computer while she was on it. I decided to go outside and enjoy the sun and do a little Winter clean up in the flowerbed on my porch.

Needless to say, it only took about 15 minutes before some guy pulls up and wants to talk.  He's a "re-modeler" and wants to do things to my house.  I explain to him, just like I do to all the people wanting to do things to my house, that I just rent.  Usually, this puts them off and they go on about their way.  Doesn't work all the time, though.  This was one of those times.

He talked about work he's done in the area and he gave me his address, both his phone numbers, and then asks me if he can call and check in after I give my "landlord" his information (which I rarely do because I know my parents) and then he said something about being friends, too.  As a dear friend of mine once said and what I wish I was brave enough to say is, "My friend card is full at the moment, but when one of them dies I'll be sure to give you a call". In the course of the conversation he asked my name and since my last name doesn't match my skin color, he ended up asking about it, which happens often, so now he knows I'm not married which I REALLY tried to avoid.  He didn't do it in a creepy way and I honestly didn't get any bad feelings from this person, but still.  I'm suspicious of everyone.

After he left, I brought in my stuff and told my daughter, "This is exactly why I don't want to ever go outside.  Someone always wants to talk to me."  Which, come to think of it, is probably not a real mentally healthy thing to say, but it's who I am and I like me this way.

I think next time someone comes up to talk to me while I just want to be outside enjoying Nature, not striking up conversations with strangers, no matter what they say or ask: "I work with the police, I have a big gun and not only do I know how to use it, I LIKE using it." 

Plus... this guy's name is Sham.  How can one ever trust someone with that name?  It's like eating at Riskey's Bar-B-Q.  Just not going to do it. 

And because I don't trust most strangers, especially of the male variety, I picked this up when I saw him park and kept it in my hand the entire time we were talking, gloves included:

I may not be able to say it... but sometimes one doesn't need verbal communication. And I did take the glove off when he took his leave and I shook his hand which was comparable to a well cooked noodle.  Women notice handshakes, too, guys.  This guy was no threat.  Or the pointy garden tool communication worked.

2 comments:

gatofish said...

LOL, I KNEW I liked your blog! You are just like me: kindred, suspicious, crazy gato lady who surfs the net.

Ick on the noodle hand. But you're braver than me; I hate touching strangers.

Jerrine Absher said...

...and to think I worry about you. ;) Nice improv with the weapon of availability. If he saw you rip up the globe spike that would have been good too. You are close to mastering the off the phone "click".