Thursday, March 13, 2008

What Does One Do?

When I turned 40 at the end of last year, I made a decision to stop coloring my hair. I had been coloring for many years because of being blessed with genes that cause early graying. My grandmother told me she was pretty much entirely gray by the time she was 35. I've tried to do this before, but once I got to a certain point, I couldn't stand it any more and opted to color. Not this time. I'm farther then I've ever been and like most things in my life, I've accepted what fate has in store as far as my hair goes.

Which brings me to a problem. I have very long hair. I've got about 3 inches of gray hair growth and the rest is a nice combination of dark brown with lots of red highlights. I have noticed, though, that the majority of solid gray is around my face and that the hair on the back of my head is coming in with my natural dark brown with just a few strands of gray and I think once it is all grown out it's going to look pretty cool. But right now, all it looks like is that I haven't colored my hair in a while and I don't like it. I've thought about just cutting all the colored part off, but this would leave me with VERY short hair, and I'm not a VERY short hair kind of person. I've Googled hair dye removal and the results were not positive at all. So what I'm left with as far as choices go are just dealing with it until I can get it cut off, or just dealing with it without getting it cut off. I'm not a beauty shop type person, but I may be in store for a visit soon.

My daily routine for my hair is a wash and go style. I wash it... then I go. Since growing my bangs out, I use one of those head band combs to keep it out of my face. Sometimes I even braid it. I don't use a curling iron or a hair dryer. Any curl to my hair is from taking out the braid once it is dry. I fear going for any other style will leave me with no option but to start using a curling iron or a hair dryer... and I guess that wouldn't be so bad, but what if one day I just don't want to do that? I don't want to get stuck having to "fix" my hair just to go out and get the mail. And then again... I like my long hair and don't wish to have to go to the beauty shop every other month to get it cut. I'm just too cheap for that.

So forgive my unkempt appearance. Until I decide what to do this will be weighing heavy on my head. HA!

No comments: