Saturday, February 16, 2008

Femme Fatale



I'm a baaaad pet owner. But only half bad. I have four cats. Two male, two female. Both the males have been neutered. Neither of the females have been spade. Cricket, my youngest, went into heat a few days ago. I think, for my sanity, and of course for theirs, I will be doing something about that in the next month or so.

Before Libby came to live with me, it had been many, many years since I had seen a female cat in heat. If anyone has ever experienced this, you know what I will be going though having two female cats in heat. It could get rocky around here.

The temptation to open the back door and let them run free can be overwhelming at times. Which makes me think back to the last female cat I saw go through this. Her name was Nermal. She was the sweetest cat of all. I was a teenager when she went through this which should tell you how long ago that was. This was so long ago, that I only vaguely remember feeling sorry for Nermal and opening the back door to let HER run free. When she came up pregnant, it was a miracle pregnancy because my parents weren't home when I did this and as far as my mom knew, she had not been let out. I don't remember if I ever fessed up about it.

(Mom, if you are reading this, I hope I had already told you that story. If not... oops.)

Nermal had two babies. A male cat that we adopted out and a female that we named Baby and kept. Of course, Nermal has long since passed and Baby has not been gone but a year or so. Baby spent her last days with my parents traveling the countryside in an RV and loved every minute of it. Both of them lived very long, very loved lives.

Anyway... I find myself wanting to open that back door, yet the adult in me knows what happens when one does this. See? I did learn something when I was a kid. So until I can get my two girls shipped off to the vet, keep that picture up there in mind. Because seriously... that's the way these girls act during "that time".

2 comments:

Jerrine Absher said...

Where do you find the picts and stuff you post? That pict is so funny!

La La said...

Sometimes I find them on the big fat WWW. Sometimes someone sends them to me through email. I'm still currently trying to write a post around the Tom Cruise zapping of Oprah. :-)