Saturday, February 21, 2009

For Shame

Shame on me for being so pitiful as of late. I went back and read some of my last few posts... humph.

Let me follow up on the last post. My son brought this to my attention and I'm grateful to him for that. It gave me something to blog about today.

It's not that I don't have stuff. I do have some pretty cool stuff. I think sometimes I give the impression that I live in a shack with an outhouse and no indoor plumbing. Close... but I do have the privilege of getting to shat indoors. I have a really cool computer that I can play games on, watch movies on, type on a blog...on, and lots of other cool stuff. I have a very nice printer. I have a nice sofa and two recliners... desks... web cams... digital video recorder and a spiffy new microwave. I have a cell phone and NetFlix. I have gargoyles and wizards and cats setting about, a huge cat tower and a TV. I have a stereo, tons of CD's, art supplies and home repair supplies. I have a large shelf that contains tons of Bath and Body Works lotions, body sprays, body creams and bubble bath. I have a pillow top queen size mattress, lots of pillows and my bedding matches the colors of my bedroom. I have candles galore and Glade Scented Plug Ins in every available outlet. My cats have two cat boxes and tons of toys that are spread out over my entire home and under everything. I have a picture on my wall that I paid one hundred dollars for and a mirror that I paid 80 dollars for. Most everything else I just listed were gifts from friends and family. I have some really cool friends and family.

But there's lots of stuff I don't have that most people do. I don't have a dishwasher or a washer and dryer or hook ups for any of them. I have a garbage disposal but it's never been installed. (another fabulous gift from my son who buys me whatever I want!) I don't have central heat or air. I have window units in the living area and one in each of the two bedrooms. My heat comes from gas stoves, also located in the living area and one in each of the bedrooms... and lots of blankets. I don't have cable or satellite. I have just the local channels which will stop working as of June something or other because I still don't have a box or an HDTV. Out of all of that, the only thing I really, really, really miss is the washer and dryer. Something I totally took for granted when I had it. I don't mind doing dishes by hand but I hate not having a garbage disposal. Makes cooking no fun because the clean up is just a hassle and messy and gross. I miss cooking and its sad that I avoid it because I don't have my garbage disposal installed. I don't watch TV very often. Only when something comes on Fox like House and right now, American Idol. (It's going to be a fabulous season, by the way!) Everything else I watch is on ABC and I do a lot of ABC.com.

Anyway... my point is, I do have nice things and the things I appreciate the most were gifts and the things I don't have I really don't miss. I just don't have a permanent place to put all my nice things and its the one thing in my life that seems so far away and iffy. That's all.

Man... I just threw up randomness all over up there. Here's a towel... and a tiny foil person photo exclusive!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know a guy that can install stuff. He would so do it for you too.

Anonymous said...

Try hulu.com for your viewing needs. I'm thinking about dropping cable as well.