Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Internet Is My Crack

So I got up yesterday evening before work and alas, my internet connection was gone. Next to my driveway are several large phone boxes. I have DSL. For the last two weeks I have had large machinery and Spanish speaking folk digging in and around my driveway by those boxes. Luckily, they asked if the gravel roadway they had planted their back-hoe on was my driveway and they were told, yes this is the only way I can get my car out, so they were kind enough not to pile the dirt they had planned on piling there, there. The more days they have been here, the smaller the area I have had to get out. Right now, I'm having to drive around their gigantic hole and not hit the huge dirt mounds now sitting in my yard opposite the hole. My driveway sits between the hole and the mounds.

This morning I was excited to see the AT&T guy out working early. Around 11:30, after having severe withdrawal symptoms by not being able to immediately get online when I got home from work, I finally went out to ask how long the phone lines were going to be down. He made a weird face and told me they weren't supposed to BE down. I replied, "great".

Obviously I'm up and working now or I wouldn't be blogging. And that's only because that sweet AT&T man went out of his way and got all sweaty and dirty and fixed the cut line that those stupid contractors cut. In my experience with cable lines and such, any time contractors are digging they end up cutting a line. Every. Freaking. Time.

When he was done with the repair, he came to the door to make sure I was up and running and sure enough I was. I ended up standing out on the front porch and talking with him for about 45 minutes. SUPER sweet guy, about my age, VERY handsome... and very gay, which is probably why I stayed out there and talked to him for so long. I felt safe. Not like that creepy dude that came up the one time where I gripped my garden tool in a defensive manner because he made me feel so uncomfortable. In my list of attributes of the perfect man, I've now added gay. In my 42 years of living, the nicest guys I've ever had the pleasure of meeting have been gay. It's just a shame that I'll never get to date one.

He admired my Lantana that is in full bloom right now and he thinks it's an antique type because he's never seen anything like them in any of the nurseries he's gone to. I told him it's been here forever because I can remember as a small child pulling off the little flowers and collecting them. I told him I wasn't sure how well a stem cutting from a Lantana would propagate but he was welcome to take a cutting if he wanted to. He declined because he had a long drive home and it was so hot outside.

And then I tried to get on FaceBook and it was down.

So thank you AT&T guy. I wish I would have gotten your name. You went out of your way to provide me my internet crack, and I had a very nice visit from a complete stranger which is SO rare for me. You made this old lady's day.

1 comment: