Monday, September 20, 2010

World Travelers

My daughter boarded a plane yesterday, headed to Germany. For Octoberfest. I'm beyond ecstatic that she's getting to do this. I always kind of sensed that she would be a world traveler some day when she was younger, and I'm grateful that she did not inherit my homebody skills.

My son will soon be going to Washington to visit his best friend and his wife. It's strange to say that because I think back to the years when his best friend would come over and they would jam on their guitars and be typical teenagers and these children, as well as my own, have grown up so fast. As wonderful as it was to be blessed by these children of mine when they were growing up, knowing that they are out in the world doing things that make them happy, being happy, brings a sense of peace to me now.

I believe what most parents want for their children is for them to have happiness in their lives. Sure, heartache and pain is part of life and my children have had their share. As much as we, as parents, wish we could keep them from that, it's inevitable. Our hearts break right along with their's. I've shed tears with them, and for them. But the best part is sharing life's joys with them. Getting to hear about their adventures and the places they have gotten to go and the places that they want to go. That, in itself, is probably the best part of being a parent. The end result of all the worry over fevers, grades, boyfriends, girlfriends. Don't get me wrong. I think I'll always worry. But that's a big part of being a parent, too. Because I know mine still worry about me, too.

No comments: