Sunday, September 5, 2010

We Want YOU!

The one comment I get the most when somebody discovers I'm a dispatcher is, "You must have the most interesting job ever!". To which I usually scoff, and on occasion point and laugh. Yes, my job is different than your job, but your job is different than mine. After being asked the question, "What's it like to be a twin?", the twin retorted, "What's it like NOT to be one?" In other words, I've worked at my job for so long, I can't imagine what it's like not to.

For instance... people outside of my line of work tend to stop and stare when they see a cop going about his job. Unless they are doing something wrong, or have a warrant, or are carrying a pound of marijuana in the trunk... then most try to avoid eye contact as much as possible. I stare at cops when I see one that I've worked with for years without his uniform on. Oh, wait. That didn't sound right. When they are dressed in "plain clothes". To me? THAT'S weird and well worth staring at.

For those of you that may not do what I do, you might be curious as to how one trains for such a career. For police, the State of Texas has a requirement that you go to some form of police academy. After graduation, these young men and women have only just begun their training. The real training will come from the streets. Dispatchers don't have an academy. We are considered civilian employees. They have a lot more specialty schools now compared to when I started, but most dispatchers learn by watching and listening to other dispatchers. Even today I feel like I learn something new almost every day I'm at work.

Then there is the S.W.A.T. team. These guys have some grueling training, especially around here in the middle of summer, what with all their ninja turtle hats, gas masks and heavy ballistic body armor they are required to adorn. I've never attended a S.W.A.T. training day, but I found a short training video that might give you an idea of what goes on during one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

so thats what our guys do in training LOL