Friday, October 17, 2008

First Degree Murder

So I live in an old, drafty house. Lots of nooks and crannies for rodent type things to live comfortably. Not on the inside, though, which is a small blessing. Either that, or four very playful kitties on the inside are enough to deter any entry into my living quarters. But alas... they (it) are (is) in my attic playing havoc with my structural integrity. At first it was only occasionally that I would hear some scuttling up above my head. But now the constant chewing is keeping me awake thinking I'm smelling burning wire as I drift into sleep twilight, where noises and smells seem to be amplified. And I fear I have only one option. Poison.

I don't know a lot about rodent poisons, and sadly I don't even know where my attic access is. I think in the garage. I'm not for sure though. I would prefer to stay ignorant of the killing of a living thing. I have a very deep seated aversion to such things. But I'm good at denial, so I'll be making a house call to my parents to discuss with my Dad the possibility of him throwing some killing machines up inside my attic to avoid waking up in a house on fire, or coming home to a house burned down with the knowledge of my kitties being trapped inside. The thought of the latter is enough for me to agree to the killing(s).
***

So I talked with my Dad. Yes, my attic access is in the garage. I wrote the above last night... tonight (depending on when you read this vs when I put it up to post) there is nothing going on above my head. I took a late nap today (it's now 1115 pm) and all is quiet. Which means that somewhere things are dying or are dead and now I'm kind of sad, but I do feel a lot safer knowing that no more damage will be done. Not that anyone is concerned about resale value of this house or anything, but I still have to live here a bit longer and I kind of like the idea of things not burning down around me whilst I sleep.

And because I'm a girl and have girl tendencies, I now feel the need to repay nature somehow. Might have to adopt another cat. (Haha! Kidding MOM!)

Oh, and it's official. I now consider myself one of the millions who suffer with allergies. Never thought I'd ever say that... I've never had a problem with it in the past. But this year Clariton D is my friend. I've still not found anything I'm allergic to, although I did use a botanical facial mask that gave me hives on my face that I won't be using any more, if that counts. I just don't know if it was the actual botanical ingredients, or a manufactured ingredient that did it. So anyway... sniff, sneeze, cough... blooooow.

No comments: