Wednesday, September 2, 2009

And Even More About "The" Pain

My hopes are that it rains soon. I don't know at this point if it will change anything as far as the pain goes, but I still hope it does. I've had extended episodes before. This is definitely one of them.

Update on the medicine gel: It mostly works. Which, believe it or not, is a good thing. I've never found anything that has even sort of worked. Because this is medicine and even though this is a gel, I can't bathe in the stuff, although I have wanted to once I found out that I'm able to get SOME relief. I get complete relief if I stay motionless after I have applied it to the various hurtings. I have learned that I move around a whole lot more than I thought. Bathroom runs, water runs, cat petting, typing... but if I lay in one spot, or sit in a chair with my feet up, I'm painless. For however many minutes I can stay that way. But I'm happy with that. It's better than I've had before. It takes away the throbbing and burning that accompanies the pain... which is the part that makes me crazy. It does nothing to soothe the burning sensation I get when my hands are immersed in warm water, though. So dishwashing and showers are sparse. Good thing I work in a room all by myself.

I hung out at work this morning and chatted with my supervisor and the detective for a bit. Ended up leaving about 20 minutes later than normal. OH. MY. GAHH! How do you people drive in this stuff every day? While driving no faster than 40mph the whole way home, I heard on the radio that an area in the city that I live in was ranked number one in traffic congestion, boasting a total of 42 hours a week of congestion. Yay for us! You can read the short story here in our area newspaper. Thankfully, I don't have to drive that way to or from work. It really doesn't matter what day or time of week. That road is almost always bumper to bumper. As a side note, this area moved down from last year's number 4 to number 5 on the national scale. Please, come live here! Everyone else is!

It's my weekend. Which means I can go almost three whole days without putting shoes on which is good in ways I hope you never have to know. I have so much to do yet I have no idea how I'm going to do any of it. "Baby steps. Baaaaby steps. babysteps. BABY STEPS!" Have you seen that movie? What About Bob. With Bill Murray and Richard Dryfuss. Classic.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm really glad to hear you've found something to help partially manage your rain pain. Honestly, I don't know how you cope with it, except that you just gotta do whatcha gotta do.

Can't you take cool showers (at least in the summer) and wash dishes in cool water?

I know you girlies like sauna-hot showers even in the summer. That (and, well, everything else) baffles me about the fairer sex.

Again, I'm super-damn happy for you about the gel. Congrats!

La La said...

I will take cooler showers, but I feel like I can't get my hair rinsed completely in cool water. Has to be some warmth there, although a final cool rinse (after it's already been completely rinsed clean) with cold water adds a very nice shine. And I'm just funny about my dishes. I don't have a dishwasher and I have been brainwashed into believing that if I don't wash and rinse my dishes in water as hot as it gets, I'm doomed to die of some strange leftover food bacteria.

Anonymous said...

For dishes friction and an antibacterial soap will work just fine. That and a soak while at work.

Roger T. Feeback said...

Nice, clean blog. :)