Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Long Road Home

It took me an hour and 20 minutes to get home from work this morning. Got stuck in a massive traffic jam that involved the highway being shut down. When I heard that they had shut the road down over the radio, saw that the nearest exit was about a mile away, that nobody was moving, and that my gas light had just come on, (the only way I can keep my car from overheating in a traffic jam like that is to turn on my air conditioner which uses even MORE gas) I pulled over on the side of the road, turned on my hazards and waited it out.

The first 30 minutes of sitting there were okay. I listened to the radio and watched the traffic not move. Then all of a sudden I had to pee. And then all the car exhaust started to get to me and I started to want to cough. And the longer I sat, the more I had to pee and the more I had to cough and those two don't go together real well. Then I started to look around on the inside of my car for an emergency urine container... just in case.

I have no idea how I would have used it. Luckily, around that same time, the cars started to move and it wasn't long before I was able to sneak my way into the wall of cars and make my way home. Safe and dry.

The good news is that the pain I had been having for the last few weeks has been absent the last few days. Being pain free is a wonderful thing. Really hoping this was the last episode for this year. No... I'm REALLY hoping this was the last episode ever... but I'll take what I can get.

No comments: