Monday, September 14, 2009

Hongry

I was starving the other day and I didn't really have anything at the house to fix. Odds and ends was pretty much it. I didn't feel like leaving the house to go forage for food, either. So I threw the odds and ends together and WOW did I impress myself! Here's what I threw together:

One pound ground chicken
One can of Rotel
One package of dry Onion Soup Mix
One cup of wild and brown rice (not instant)
A small pinch of salt
A few sprinkles of black pepper
A handful of slivered almonds

I browned the ground chicken with a very small pat of butter. (ground chicken and turkey tend to stick to the pan and don't brown as well as beef so I add the butter for flavor, non sticking, and browning all in one.) Got it all cooked up and I drained it. I added about a cup and a half of water and the rest of the stuff minus the almonds. I simmered it for about 15 minutes covered, added the almonds and cooked it uncovered for about 5 more minutes. I seriously didn't think it was going to taste all that great but I will be making this again. I had a serving and packaged the leftovers in individual Glad freezer bowl things. I took a picture just because and this is what the finished product looked like...

It really doesn't look all that appetizing to me. I thought by looking at it that some shredded cheese would have been good to have on it, but I think the cheese would have taken away from it. But I think I will drop a half of an avocado cut up on the top after I dish it up next time. I can't say for sure why I added the almonds at the end. It just seemed like the right thing to do at the time and it was.

***
Cricket has a new thing to do. When I get home in the mornings, or when I wake up, or pretty much any time I'm at home, I have my hair pulled back out of the way in a pony tail. In the mornings, Cricket will get up on the back of my computer chair and I will flip the pony tail up there with her and she will play with my hair... sometime pulling too hard and always matting it up really good. Here's a not so good picture, but the best of the one's that I do have:
 
And one of Jynxy looking like he fell asleep mid thought...

3 comments:

kryston said...

I like how all of your food-ventions made from odds and ends in your pantry seem to contain Rotel. Have you ever noticed that?!

La La said...

No... I haven't. Do they? Have they? I don't remember! Ahhh!

Anonymous said...

Well, it sounds damn tasty to me! Most of those one-pot meals don't look so good in the pan, but look better on a plate. But they're dee-lish, so who wants to look at them anyway?

I loves me some Ro-Tel!