Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Ahhhhhh....

Ah, my weekend is finally here. Not that it was a long week, but I sure like my weekends. And it's not because I don't like my job... if you even want to call it a job at all. Maybe it has to do with getting to sleep in my bed at night time. Maybe it has to do with the fact I don't have to leave my house. Maybe it's a little bit of both.

I was thinking last night at work as I kicked back in my comfy chair and closed out the internet because I was bored with it... how much I like my job. I mean, there I was, feet up, reclined, getting paid. Occasional a co-worker would walk in and we'd laugh and joke for a bit and then the co-worker would leave again and there I was... still kicked back with my feet up, getting paid. I'm not complaining. I'm SO not complaining. If it wasn't me getting paid to sit in a room for 8 hours, it would have to be someone else. So why NOT me?

There are weeks where I am busy. Sort of. If I were to total up the average time I spend actually doing work, while I'm AT work, it would be a ridiculously low number. We're talking about 2 hours a week. Seriously. There are a lot of people who say that it would drive them crazy not having anything to do. This job, though, suits me well. I'm lazy, and I'm an introvert. So sitting in one spot just daydreaming and getting paid to do so appeals to me.

I have always found ways to entertain myself at work over the years. I've read novels in a nights time, I've done crossword puzzles, I've flirted with boys, I created 'Wes Heads' (I'll elaborate if need be), I've slept. There was a time period of about two years where it was just me and this other officer, that worked the exact same hours as me, who were the only ones on duty. We played paper football, paper golf, coin basketball... we had spitball contests through the hole in the dispatch window, M&M contests through the vent in the wall by the ceiling in the old PD, wet tampon contests (involved the forehead. don't ask). During that time, I developed an unbelievable bond with this man. He is the only friend of mine that I've ever considered a "brother from another mother". It's not uncommon for officers to develop a bond with their dispatchers. But this went... goes, beyond that. I don't work with him any more, sadly. He left a year or so after I did, but he's probably not coming back like I did. But I still get to see him from time to time. He's still a reserve officer there. He's the guy I know I could call in times of trouble and he would either help me, or find someone to help me... and that's even if we don't talk for many months. I am truly a richer person because of him. I love you Trepp. You know I do.

In my 15 years or so of working there, I've made countless friendships. Most have gone their way and I don't hear from them any more... some I still talk to today. But even though I may not talk to those that I once called a friend, pieces of them have stayed with me. I may not think of them for years, but then one day the thought of them crosses my mind and I relish being able to recall the memories of when they were a part of my life's path.

So... I really love my weekends...

LIBBY WATCHING THE BIRDS

CRICKET... BECAUSE SHE SAW LIBBY DO IT

JYNXY IS SO CAMERA SHY


GOT HIM!!!

2 comments:

XOXO said...

I'm glad you have happier memories and experiences there than I do/did.

I suppose it's different for everyone.

I think if you set up a video camera and recorded all day/night log and let web people watch your kitties being silly, you could make lots 'o money and fame! I'd pay to watch. Though, I'd hope you'd let friends watch for free. :-)

La La said...

OMG! I LOVE that idea! Going to go research that now!!!!