Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Growing Up

I was sitting in my computer chair, all reclined back, watching my kitties run and play and I realized that Libby was all grown up. A full adult feline. And it made me sad, a little. She was an adorable kitten, as all kittens are required to be. But she was also some good therapy for me as well. Since she was so young when I got her, I spent all of my energy thinking about her, not about all the bad stuff buzzing around my world at that time. Then there's sweet Cricket, who is well on her way to being full grown as well. And then my two grown boys. So I'm feeling all melancholy and I happen to look up at my kid's photos on the wall. The individual baby pictures, the growing up together pictures, and the senior pictures. And I thought... the next pictures to be added will be their married pictures with their spouses... then the grandchildren. And I can't help but think that it was just last week that my son was talking about going to music day at school where you either decide to be a singer, or to learn to play an instrument. The week before that I was watching my daughter be a pee-wee cheerleader for my son's pee-wee football team. So I'm stuck by an overwhelming sense of time going by faster then I'm able to sit back and enjoy it... and I happen to reach over and pick up a mirror and I had one of THOSE moments. You know the one... where you look at yourself and wonder when that wrinkle appeared, or how saggy the jowls have gotten and (since you decided to quit coloring your hair) OH MY GOSH LOOK AT ALL THAT GRAY HAIR! Then creeps in that subtle hint of urgency, ever picking at the back of your head, that next week... you're going to be watching your grandkids graduate high school.

BEH BEH JYNXY

SPAZZ WHEN HE WAS YOUNGER AND WHEN JYNX AND HIM STILL LOVED EACH OTHER

BEH BEH LIBERTINE

BEH BEH CRICKET, SECOND DAY AT HOME

No comments: