Saturday, April 26, 2008

Survey SAYS!

Well... it's official. 8 of you wish to have a look-see into my home and 1 of you could care less.

I won't bore you with too many details of my research, but suffice it to say that after a week, I've already learned so much about what it is I'm trying to do and how to do it. My main goal was to find out how to get a camera to be viewable by other people online WITHOUT using an instant messenger because that's the only way I knew how before. And of number one importance, I don't want to have to pay for a service to allow me to do so.

The answer? Well... buy new stuff, of course! I already had a cheap webcam that works okay. I like the fact that it's grainy and not very good quality because I can take pictures of me and it hides a lot of flaws and I'm not fluent in photoshop. (Like my new picture that I put up) :-) After trying it out on the kitties, though, it just wasn't doing the job. They were moving too fast and the low light filter made it run so slow you couldn't really see the videos I was taking, PLUS there was still the problem of getting it set up for a viewable webcam. I found out they make what's called an internet server camera. Without being too technical, these cameras serve as their own computer with their own IP address which can then be opened for your viewing pleasure. Didn't even know such things existed.

So... I ordered my new toys last night. Lets take a peek:

OOOOOOOOH

AAAHHHHHH

WOOOOOOO


I was going to go with wireless, but everything was a bit more expensive and on one of my research treks, I found out things slow down a bit when dealing with wireless, so I went with cheaper and faster. My life's motto.

Once I chose which camera I wanted, I hopped in my car and drove to my local CompUSA that's about a 10 minute drive from my house. It's not there any more and the closest one is in Plano and that was just too far and too close to Dallas for me to make the drive. So I came back home and tried to find this same camera in other stores and some had the wireless available but not the wired one and others had a very small selection and very expensive ones with pretty crappy reviews. So I made my choice and ordered online. I don't feel so bad about the shipping because with the price of gas, it would have cost me anyway. The camera that I chose is selling out in even the online places and that's always a good sign... to me.

7 to 21 days before shipping and that may have to do with the high demand. Everything else will be here sooner, I imagine.

To the 8 of you that want to be nosy... I hope you appreciate the stress and expense I'm going through just for YOU! If you need my address so you can write me a check just email me.

1 comment:

XOXO said...

I can't believe my suggestion is becoming a reality!

This brings tears to my eyes!

YAY! I can't wait for Laura's Kitty-Cam!