Friday, January 16, 2009

Baby, It's Cold Outside

I'm sitting here trying to remember what it was like to have central heating and all I can remember is a high electricity bill. I've been awake since about 5am and now it's 0645 and I've finally gotten the temperature in here up to 60 degrees. Don't get me wrong... I love my Dearborn heaters. They keep me from freezing and it's obvious that Spazz and the Dearborn heater have a very intimate relationship. And do I really have any right to complain about how cold it is here? I mean... it's 20 degrees here and sure, that's cold. But it's SO not -20 degrees... that was NEGATIVE 20 degrees... which it is right now in some places of this country. How does anything keep working in that temperature? My car would implode.

In this area of the world we often get cheated by old man Winter. We get plenty of cold air and wind, but we rarely get the snow. I think if it's going to go to all the trouble of getting so cold here, we should get the snow as well and if we don't get the snow, then it should always be 70 degrees... with just a hint of a soft breeze to carry the scents of the year round exotic flowers in bloom and the sounds of distant jungle animals. Yes, I DO live in my own little fantasy world over here.

My grandmother... my Nanny... Myrene to her friends... is 105 today. This evening I will be attending her birthday party. I've offered to be her designated driver. I've heard rumors that if she gets one more DUI they are going to put one of those breathalyzer thingies on her walker. She swears she wasn't drunk and that the plants she had growing on her windowsill really WERE Japanese Maples.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kiss her once for me. She has one of the kindest hearts I've ever met.