Monday, January 5, 2009

Weather Watcher

It got up to 84 degrees day before yesterday. I had to sleep with my air conditioner on. In January. Shameful. Now I am sitting here and it is 31 outside with freezing rain. Ah, finicky Texas weather... how you like to show off! Since I've never lived anywhere but this area, I don't know if it does this sort of thing in other states. Here... it does it all the freaking time. Our native plants have to be given anti-depressants because they are so confused... it's the only way we have any vegetation here. If you were to take a native Texas plant to a state with a stable environment, it would take over your yard, your neighborhood, your city...

I watched the sweetest documentary last night at work. (Yes... I DO have the best job ever!) It's called, 'The Wild Parrots Of Telegraph Hill'. It's about this homeless guy who befriends these wild parrots in the San Francisco area. The city I work for has wild parrots. I think they call them Quaker Parrots. They have thrived in the city for at least as long as I've been there, and I started in 1990. They build these HUGE nests around the electrical poles that hold transformers. They won't build on the support poles for some reason. They are allowed their freedom and the only time we intervene is when one gets hurt. I've taken several calls on injured parrots. Most of our citizens are very protective of them.

Nothing of interest has really been happening, aside from the crazy weather. Cricket caught her bum on fire on my birthday. Luckily, I saw that it was about to happen and I got there in time to smack it out quickly. You can't even tell it happened I was so quick. But there was definite flamage in hind quarters. I scared the crap out of Cricket by attacking her the way I did. When I pet her after I knew she was no longer on fire, I saw her flinch. That killed me. I don't hit my cats. I don't play rough with them either. I've been asked how come my cats are so calm and friendly and the answer is simple. I treat them with calm kindness, I love them, I let them play as hard or as gentle as they want. I don't throw them, I don't wrestle hard with them, I don't encourage their use of biting or nails. If my cat jumps up in my lap, yet under navigates the jump where they fall off, my cats will most often never use their nails to keep from falling off. They will act, most often, like they are raised. So... yeah. Cricket got her bum swatted... but only to put out the fire. The candle has since been moved.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

aww, poor Cricket! I'll bet she never realized her butt was on fire.

And I think the parrots like the heat that the transformers put off. Austin has parrots as well (Monk Parakeets, if I recall). Hmm--same as Quaker Parrots! They tend to nest on ball field light poles and around transformers.

http://www.austinchronicle.com/gyrobase/Community/MrSmartyPants_view?oid=oid%3A256570