Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Happy Birthday, Son

Today, my first born is 23. This mom is so proud of all the things he has accomplished in such a short amount of time.

I can't help but think back to when I was my children's ages. When I was his age, he was already 5 years old with a little sister who was 3. I can remember thinking when he turned 19, that he was the same age as his dad when we got married. I can remember thinking when my daughter was 17 that I was her age when I got married. Each time I think about that, I can't help but wonder how my parents survived my being such a young wife and mother. I felt much older at 17 then my kids appeared to be at the same age. But then again, when I look at my son today, I still see him as a young child. I can remember asking my Mom not too long ago... "Does he look like a man to you?" This was after I had seen my oldest nephew that I had not seen in several years, who is only about 3 months older than my son and who looked very much like a man. My mom assured me that my son most definitely looked his age and that I would probably always see my son as a boy. I wonder if my 105 year old grandmother sees my 68 year old dad that way.

This past year, my son bought his first new car. A Mazda RX8. He became a store manager at the high end grocery store he's worked at for several years. He's a highly accomplished musician, working on the last year of college with a degree in business (I think). This child of mine... this man... has a very bright future. And nothing calms a mother's heart more then knowing her son will be successful to the point that he will be able to afford the old folks home he'll eventually have to pay for his momma to stay in when she's old. Hey... that's why we have kids, right?

Happy Birthday, J. I love you like only a proud mother can. Have a most blessed day, my dear.

J and D(my son's new "friend") at the Mav's game:

2 comments:

kryston said...

they're official now mom! DUH.

haha just kidding.

my brother is sooooo old now. I mean, he'll practically be going off to the retirement home WITH you!

:) your collage at the top is so cute!! but it makes you look like you have about 17 cats instead of 4.

i love you and miss you! in fact, i think i will call you RIIIGHT now

Anonymous said...

That's such a nice picture of J (and his gf is a hottie)! Both of your kids are beautiful, intelligent, determined, good-hearted young adults--children that any mother would be proud of. Congrats to J on his birthday, and to your entire family. You guys ROCK!