Thursday, January 22, 2009

Thursday Thoughts

My mum is getting a new hip tomorrow. I'm going to go hang out with her today, although she doesn't know it yet.

It's been a long hard road for my Mom these past 5 years or so. She is working on her 6th year as a breast cancer survivor. We all say Woo Hoo to that. But within the last year she's had some major hip issues and it has gotten to a point where she can hardly even move her leg unless she is using a walker. A couple of months ago, we noticed the atrophy that has affected the calf muscles of her weak leg as well. The time had just come for this.

My Mom started Weight Watchers way back in the early 80's. Today's Weight Watchers is nothing like it used to be, except for the meetings. I went with my Mom on several occasions when I was young. Not because I needed to, though. No, back then, unlike now, I was skinny. Anyway... when my Mom started Weight Watchers, she also started power walking and she lost a ton of weight. She is 5 feet tall. My Dad and I are 5'7" and 6'0" and when we three would go to the mall, my Dad and I would be exhausted trying to keep up with her mini legs that worked like tiny pistons in an engine. She's been very active since that time.

So it's hard to watch her move now. It hurts my heart... and I have seen the pain eating away at hers. She's nervous about the surgery. We all are. But she's a strong lady and I know she can't wait to start walking... really walking... again. And I can't wait to see her walk, or sit, or move, or talk... without pain.

I'll see ya here in a little while, Mom.

No comments: