Friday, September 19, 2008

Compact Disc Era

I can remember when music CDs and players first came out. It was space age technology staring us in the face. To me, it was so profoundly, off the scale, cool and futuristic, that at the time, no one I knew could afford one. Then they were mass produced and can now be bought at a dollar store.

I have a large collection of CDs. Old ones. There was a time when buying a CD was the thing to do. I did it. A lot. Then one day I just stopped. I don't remember when it stopped(over 5 years... maybe closer to 10), or even why I stopped. And I can't remember the last CD I purchased.

When I bought my stereo system, desktop models had already become the "thing" to buy. I didn't want a desktop model. I wanted a full fledged cabinet stereo with big honking speakers so I could surround myself with music when the moment struck. I think I must have bought the very last one in existence. And even so, it's more of a desktop model that sets on top a huge woofer in a cabinet and has big honking speakers along with Dolby surround sound speakers. That would be Dolby 1 technology.

So not only can I not remember the last time I played one of my CDs on my ginormous stereo system, I can't remember when I last turned on my eyesore of a stereo system. The computer has replaced my source for music. I'm older so I don't have to have the music as loud as I once did, and the speakers are pretty decent so stuff sounds good coming out of them. And the list of music is endless when you have the internet. And my daughter does the IPod thing, so I have all her music to listen to as well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah well when was the last time you sat in the middle of the floor surrounded by LP albums and spun them on your record player? Now that's a lot of fun!
For me? A few months back. What a treat.

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty old-skool as well; no iPod but a badass stereo. I feel no need to dump the cd player.

Run a wire from your sound card output to the stereo input and listen to your mp3's & stuff through the stereo!

Also you can run your TV output into the stereo as well.

Just what you needed: more wires running through your house! ;^)