Monday, March 16, 2009

Not A Typical Night

Last night was crazy. I know I've said other nights were crazy, but you need to forget I ever said anything about experiencing a crazy night before, because last night... it was the craziest of ALL crazies!

Sadly, though, the only thing I can tell you anything about is how one of my officers got attacked by a bat. He described himself as "screaming like a little girl" and "I ran like a big giant baby". He's our K-9 officer.

I had an officer once who flat out told me if I ever got a call in our cemetery, he would NOT be responding. I've had them afraid of snakes and petrified of spiders. Yes, I love working with the big strong men. It amazes me that these guys could face a bad guy with a gun, yet I get to witness "OHMYGOD IS THAT A SPIDER?! IT IS AND YOU BETTER GET IT AWAY FROM ME"... sounds of running footfalls down the hall.

It started out a normal night. They ALWAYS start out as normal nights. If you have any knowledge about how a police department functions then you know that we are either very, very slow, or all hell will break loose and we will get back to back calls, one right after the other. For all my years of doing this job I have yet to figure this one out. It just always seems to work that way. So it was one of those nights and by the time I got to go home, it did not end on a good note. There should be no problem explaining things tomorrow and I probably should have not even bothered to mention anything today, but I had to at least get out the bat story before my 40 year old brain forgot that one and my cats just weren't very good listeners this morning because they are mad at me for not bringing home any canned food and you must know by now that they are ALL spoiled rotten so now they are all walking around in a snit, with an occasional death glance in my direction. So, no, they didn't want to hear my tales of work, so as always, lucky you. But I will make it a point to explain all tomorrow morning.

2 comments:

XOXO said...

One of my absolute most favorite moments there was when Dave and Treppa were standing outside of dispatch, and a spider slowly started lowering itself from the ceiling.

Both men squealed like little boys and one of them got their asp out and started violently swinging at the spider, widely missing it, and narrowly missing the other person. Every time the spider would swing in their direction they would jump up and down and squeal some more. And then when they finally got it, they were so proud of themselves.

I laughed until I cried that night. :-)

Anonymous said...

Lol, my husband's a cop and he HATES spiders.