Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Progress Report #2

Sorry I missed Mother's Day! Happy belated one to any mothers out there. Hope you had a most wonderful day.

My Mother's Day was a quiet one. I had worked the previous night, so I called my mom on the way home from work, got home, went to bed, woke up. I got a text message from my daughter and a phone call from my son with promises to do our Mother's Day later in the week when we are all off of work. They both had to work late. But my daughter came over after work and she had made me a card. (The best cards are ALWAYS the handmade ones) And she warned me I would probably cry when I read it and probably should read it after she left, but I read it any way and sobbed like a baby right in front of her. I know all mothers think their kids are the best in the world, but mine really are... and even though we don't live together any more, there is STILL not a day that goes by that I don't think about how unbelievably blessed I am by my kids. They have molded me into who I am as much as I have molded them. They flew from my nest with trepidation, but with a courage that I have never possessed. They have seen places I have never seen, they have done things I have never done, and they have taken life by the horns 20 years younger then I did. They are my heart.

*****
Yesterday I stepped on the scale. Yesterday marks the day I reached my first goal on this road I decided to start traveling on March 5th. Yesterday, I can officially report that I have lost 34 pounds. The easiest 34 pounds I have ever lost, by the way. Eating more food then I have ever eaten in my life, by the way. Which proves that it's not really how much you eat, but WHAT you eat. Granted, portion control is something I do, but I don't really worry too much about it because of WHAT I eat. Me, the lazy one, doesn't like the whole measure this and measure that. I am a chronic guesstamater, and it seems as if I'm pretty good at it.

And although I'm NOT going to let the scale rule my life, I can't help but be overjoyed at what it told me yesterday. And even though I was quite excited when I first started this journey, I'm even more excited about the coming months ahead.

I'm having thoughts like, what if I had started this a year ago... where would I be now? What if I had started this 3 years ago? 5? I answer those questions with, I'd be in the same place I am now because I was just not ready a year ago, or 5 years ago. I SHOULD have been... but I just wasn't. I'm glad, though, that I am now.

RED LILLY LOOKING FLOWERS IN MY YARD

Does anyone know what these are called?

2 comments:

Jerrine Absher said...

Trumpets?

Anonymous said...

Air raid sirens! Kidding--Amaryllis, I think.

Heartfelt congratulations to you!!! You're ahead of if you hadn't started when you did. As the hippies say, wherever you go, there you are. And I'm even more impressed that you're losing weight while cutting back on the death sticks!!! Tough to do, I know. You kick ass!!! :)


Oh--and happy late mother's day! Reading your blog about your wonderful kids & how much they mean to you made me misty as well!