Tuesday, June 16, 2009

I Got Your Heat Index

We who live in the south have what is called a Heat Index. For those that don't know what the heck that is, here is the low down:

Let's pretend I've signed up for a marathon. If this pretend marathon takes place around the corner from where my house sits and it's 102 degrees on a typical Texas summer day, I will be able to run 15.8 feet before collapsing from a heart attack. If this pretend marathon takes place in Nevada and it's 102 degrees on a typical Nevada summer day, I will be able to run 25.9 feet before collapsing from a heart attack.

I'm sure my math is not accurate in the above example.

Basically... when you have high humidity with hot temperatures, it is harder for your body to cool itself through the whole sweating your arse off and evaporation of that butt sweat. In low humidity with hot temperatures, the whole evaporation process is more efficient and cools your stanky parts faster.

Today it is supposed to get up to 100 degrees and depending on which weatherman you watch, the heat index should be anywhere from 103 to 108 which is fine because I have no plans to leave my house again until the sun goes down.

It's days like today that explain a small part of why I choose to work at night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your writing style. Only one error. It's not the heat index it's the miserablity factor. A quick fact check would have revealed this. I understand you are under somewhat of a deadline with these blogs. Keep up the good work and I impatiently wait for your next entry.

Anonymous said...

What I dislike about the whole heat index thing is that they say it can be 102 but it "feels like" 106; then what does 106 feel like? Th think that rather than assigning double meanings to an established scale, they should applu a different scale, ranging from "dry as a bone" to "muggy as $#!+". Of course I'm easily confused by these things.