Saturday, October 6, 2007

Band Nerds Unite!

In high school, I was a band nerd... although we were actually a pretty hip bunch. Or I was just delusional... or am now. Either way, nothing is a more pleasing sound then to hear the beat of the drums of the marching band and where my little old house sits, you can often times clearly hear the bands at the High School Stadium playing... or the cheers from the crowds... or during a hosting of a marching contest, I get to listen to LOTS of bands warming up before performance. But I don't live so close that it bothers me. I work nights and attempt to sleep during the day.

Much to my ex-husband's chagrin, my son inherited my passion for music. I say chagrin here, because my ex-husband was all for my son playing sports and doing manly-man things like grunting and carrying his women off by the hair, expressing his feelings through flatulence and not being coddled by his mother. His dad pushed (guilt-ed) him into the pee-wee sports. He hated football, tolerated baseball, actually loved Ti kwon do and soccer. I still coddled him when I could get away with it and as far as the flatulence... his dad would be proud. And then my son discovered music. He did the band thing all through middle school and when high school came around, he made his momma proud by being in marching band. When high school was over, he actually played in the University of Texas at Arlington's Marching Band for two years and going from high school marching band, to college marching band was like night and day. Not only was it an experience for him, it was definitely an experience for this ex-band nerd. I was quite literally, blown away. For any other band nerd parents out there, I highly recommend attending a college marching competition. The power of those kids will just simply amaze you.

Anyway... I get nostalgic this time of year when I hear the first stirrings of the bands start to play. And I'm not so sure if it's from the memories of my youth, or that of enjoying with my kids, the memories of their youth. I think it's a little of both. I might have to take in a show this year.

Marching season is also a sure sign that colder temps are on the way. And on days like today, 90 degrees with about 200 percent humidity, a reminder of this is important. I am SO ready for summer to be over.

2 comments:

XOXO said...

I'm a band nerd too.

Or, a color guard nerd, actually.

I love high school football season, just because of the band.

The only thing I miss about working mids is stopping by my parents house after work. Around 7ish, you can really start to hear Everman's band practice. It made me smile every time.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.