Monday, October 15, 2007

Ride of My Life

I got off work this morning and I checked the radar before I left and I knew I would be driving home in some pretty hard rain. It had just passed the sprinkle stage when I pulled out of the parking lot.

I don't mind driving in the rain. And I actually kind of like it. Makes for an interesting commute home, to say the least. BUT, when you add rain and heavy rush hour traffic... I don't like doing that at all.

So I'm heading towards the highway and it's already raining so hard I can barely see the road. Plus it's that time of year when my drive home from work is now in the dark. But I push forward and on the highway I go. It was easy as pie getting on. I'm thinking most everyone must have sat out the storm instead of driving in it because I was expecting stop and go traffic all the way home and it was running very smooth. I was thankful for that, because going over 30 mph was next to impossible because of the torrent.

Then the wind started to blow... and blew and blew and the rain started to come down sideways and although I didn't think it could, it rained even harder. My wipers were full speed ahead and still I could barely see where I was going. The traffic wasn't bad at all which meant I had no one to follow for point of reference. My poor little car was being blown back and forth and I just knew I was about to get thrown over a bridge because of phantom tornadoes. And in the midst of my anxiety, the gale force winds and the waterfall that was coming down on my car... my driver's side windshield wiper got blown askew, off of my windshield and into an upright position. I would add here that it was sticking up and still trying to turn in rhythm with the passenger side wiper, but I won't because I COULDN'T SEE!!! So I slammed on my emergency lights, slowed down as much as possible without stopping completely, rolled down my window (yes, the rain WAS blowing in from that direction) and flipped my wiper back down onto the window. And I guess during the ordeal, the wiper got unaligned because although I could see, I had about half the space I did before the tornado hit my windshield.

After I could somewhat see again, the traffic congested and we drove real slow and by the time I got out of the pack, the rain had slowed to a reasonable amount and I finally made it home.

My back porch is flooded because I forgot to shut the windows last night.

I do love a rainy day...

No comments: