Sunday, October 28, 2007

Coffee Beans and Old Friends

I drink coffee. Not all day like some, but I have my two cups in the morning when I get home from work and when the weather is cool, like it is now, I'll have a cup up in the evening. I'm not a Starbucks person at all. I'm not all into the latte grande chi mocho espresso with extra cream. I just like a nice plain good cup of coffee, although I do use my fair share of Coffeemate and sugar. I could even go so far as to use the expression, "I like my coffee like I like my men... sweet and creamy."

At the beginning of the year, I signed up with a coffee club. Kind of like Columbia House, except I'm getting a shipment of coffee instead of CDs or movies. I am with Gevalia. A luxury I shouldn't have, but I do. About every six weeks I get a shipment of 4 boxes (they are small boxes) of coffee beans. Every shipment costs about 30 dollars. I have my little coffee bean grinder and I get fresh ground coffee every morning. Except for recently. Now I have to look at the fact that 30 dollars gets me a tank of gas to get back and forth to work and I've had to suspend my shipments to about every two months. Which is fine until I have to drink regular coffee, like this morning. I had to go buy a can of Maxwell House because I used up the last of my beans yesterday. And I'm terribly disappointed right now as I sit and drink bitterness and not very fresh. But it will do until I get my next shipment in. I doubt very seriously if I'm going to go drink that second cup. There are some days when I do get sad because I'm poor. Not many, mind you... but there are a few.

This week should be a pretty fun week for me. First off, I get a three day weekend after only getting a one day weekend last week. On Halloween I will be going to Don's Garage and hanging out with that motley crew for the first time in a long time. I'm hoping since it's not the weekend several of the regulars will still show up because of the holiday. And then Friday, I'm going to a going away party for a friend who is leaving the records department at the place I worked for a couple of years ago to pursue other things. I'm going to try and get that night off from work as well so I can indulge in a margarita/sangria swirl, which will give me FOUR days off, but I doubt I will be able to which is also fine. I haven't seen these women in years and am looking forward to it, yet I'm nervous as well. For four years I worked with some of these girls and since I've been gone, the emails have been sparse (from me as well) and when I left unexpectedly (I SO got fired), I've kind of felt "out of the click", so to speak. But I still think it will be fun to see them again, even if I have to make my excuses and slink out of there early.

So far, I have counted 4 wasps in my house. It's cold, so they are not aggressive or fast, but I think I need to figure out where the sudden house guests are coming from. I wouldn't want to accidentally step on one.

Now I'm on my way to the kitchen to indulge in some more bitterness...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Don's Garage looks REALLY cool!!! Have a blast, babe! :)