Sunday, August 10, 2008

80's Flashback

If you are a long haired male, in your 40's, stuck in the 80's, likes to wear leather pants and you can't seem to let Dime-Bag Darrell go, then I have the place for you to go! It's called the Rockstar Bar and it's located off of the service road of I35 between Alta Mesa and Sycamore School Road. And if you are driving too fast, and it's night time, then you will drive right past it because their sign doesn't light up.

Aside from some of the freaks that were occupying the same room as me, I have to say I had the time of my life last night. Granted, at one point, it was a little weird knowing I had dragged my kids to this place (regardless of the fact that neither of them are teenagers any more) and after my 3rd Cape Cod I got a "MOOO-OOOOM" in stereo from both of my kids. I think I've only drank one other time in front of them their entire lives.
Our group included these lovely faces:
My whole reason for going to this place was to see an old friend whom I haven't seen in about 8 years and watch her perform with the band that she is in called The Michelle Johnson Band. Our first entertainment was a bluesy guitar player who was actually pretty good standing up there all by himself. I have no idea what his name was. The second performance was painful. Not at first, mind you... but I think these guys played like 50 songs and by the time they announced that they were playing their last song, everybody in the place applauded the fact that the torture would be over soon. Three guys... 50ish... a guitar player, a bass player and a drummer and I can't remember a single song they played. All I kept thinking was... dooood... you guys need to grow up and keep it in the garage. This was the general feeling around the room:

Then The Michelle Johnson Band was up and they rocked the house. Their lead guitar player, Greg Marks, was excellent! Michelle Johnson was very good on vocals, Christy C danced with abandonment as she sang back up and tambourined and the bass player, Steve Allison, and the drummer, Jimi, added the intensity to bring the house up off their seats. They ended their set with Black Sabbath's War Pigs and seeing as how we were in an 80's time machine, most everyone there sang along (and after 4 Cape Cods I did, too).
For someone who avoids public places like I do, even with all the leather pants in the place, I had so much fun. Getting to talk with Christy C afterwards, meeting her wonderful boyfriend, made my night complete. Except for my daughter, she's the most beautiful person I know, inside and out.

When we walked out the door to go home, this "thing" was the first thing we saw. Creepy, yet kind of cool at the same time:
RIP Dime-Bag... your legend of being such a nice guy and your music live on to this day...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

...and a wonderful time was had by all. Especially the mumbley guy.

Kris said...

Sounds like fun!

Anonymous said...

"MOOO-OOOOM"!!! Hahaha!!!

I'm glad you had such a blast! It sounds like you were all due for a night out on the town!

You rock! :)

La La said...

Heh heh... I was tempted to yell Freebird when the 50 something guys were on... but I promised my daughter I wouldn't embarrass her no matter how many drinks I had.