Saturday, August 23, 2008

Fly Away Little Bird

And so her car was crammed to maximum capacity, not leaving much room, if any, to see out of her windows. With her she carried over half of my income for a month in money orders, my digital camera, and alcohol for tonights celebration of being on her own with her friends yet again. The only evidence left indoors of her ever being here, is the cat... who will get to spend one more night.

As I peeked through a window and watched her car drive away, I was struck by the sudden sadness of being on my own... yet again. I realized at that moment that it doesn't matter that she's 20 years old... my heart will always break a little when I see her drive away to be on her own, away from my protective gaze, into a mean world where I won't be able to give instantaneous hugs when they are needed.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Aww--your little bird has flown the coop once again. I'm glad you guys enjoyed her visit, and a chance for Mama Bear to make everything better.