Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Woe-Is-Me

I will never be an alcoholic. I've made some decent attempts in my life, yet alas... my aversion to the taste alone has kept me sober. A night out on the town (with a dedicated driver), a group of friends at a party... I'm there... I'm drinking. But sitting home alone tonight, I realized one thing... it's just really no fun to drink by myself. It's not yet 10pm and what two drinks have accomplished is a slight buzz, an icky feeling in my stomach and lots of pacing. I'm pretty good at entertaining myself, but everything I normally do to pass the time is boring tonight. I don't want to watch a movie, I tried painting, listening to music, playing with the cats... it all seems a little lame right at the moment. So I now have a diet Pepsi in front of me, writing a blog post because I suddenly feel the need to vent somehow, yet I'd rather not bother any of my friends with a woe-is-me phone call. Lucky you, reader.

When I'm done here, I'll grab a book and retire to my bedroom and escape with my imagination. I'm sure I'll get sleepy pretty quick, seeing as how I've been yawning since after the first drink, and go to bed so I can start anew tomorrow. I'll save my boozing it up for parties (I've not been to a party in YEARS), and nights out on the town (maybe twice in the last two years), and be content that alcohol will never be a problem for me.

Some people say they drink because they are lonely. I have discovered tonight that drinking actually MAKES me lonely. I can do with out lonely in my life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said.