Saturday, April 4, 2009

Gettin' Stuff Done

I love it when my "things" are organized... shelves, closets, drawers, desks. But rarely do I get the chance to just take some time out and organize. I used to do it all the time, but that was back when I only had one room to worry about. And I very rarely am able to keep things organized, once they are. I just wish I knew WHY things don't stay organized. I used to blame it on my kids. I would get my daily exercise just walking around our house trying to find crap. It was just always that way. And then my thinking became, why bother spending two hours fixing up a closet or a drawer when the little monsters would just come in behind me and change it back to chaos.

One of the things I was looking forward to about living alone, was that I never had to worry about someone coming along behind me and moving something and not putting it back. Some things I could care less about, but most things... I don't mind if you use them, but when I'm ready to use them, they better darn well be where I left them last... doesn't matter that you found them under ancient dirty clothes in the back of the closet under your boxed up baby toys. I'm even worse about it at work. Just ask anybody who's ever been in the room when I reach for something that has been in a certain place for 150 years and it's not there. These are my special times, which some might call tirades, but I call coming out of my quiet place.

So's anyways... it wasn't always my kids. I have to admit, I have become lazy when it comes to putting crap back... or more correctly, giving everything it's own place. Living alone gives you such luxuries as being able to leave something somewhere and going back to where you left it if you need it again. The only problem with this system, aside from utter chaos, is that it doesn't work as well the older you get. Instead of just forgetting where you put something after you used it, it becomes, forgetting that you even used it at all. So you may remember that ten years ago you put the freaking drill in the tool box, but since that time you used it, you just don't remember using it. And seriously? I just saw that drill, like TWO days ago, and I don't remember where I saw it.

When I moved out of my previous home, it was done in a hurry and I wasn't the one who did most of my own packing. I was so disheartened in having to move, and other things, I just didn't care, so I procrastinated, and procrastinated and procrastinated even more until the time was upon me and I had to just throw my crap in boxes and trash bags and just leave. Most everything that was, or still is, in a box was done by a very good friend and roommate at the time. I don't think he fully understood my aversion to packing... I don't think I did either, at the time. I moved into THIS house the same haphazardly way. I think he did most of the unpacking as well. Sigh... it was a difficult time for me. I've yet to go through probably 80 percent of the things that are still in boxes or shoved in closets.

BUT... I realized yesterday that I'm slowly making progress. Little by little I'm attacking these unorganized places in my home and making them organized! It's taken almost three years, but I'm getting there. I try to keep thoughts like, "You're just going to have undo everything you've just done when you move", because thoughts like that are what has stifled my effort so often in the past. I'm living in the moment, the best I know how. And gettn' stuff done in the meantime.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sadly, I know exactly what you mean. I need to send my brother my old GPS (a mutual gift that I have hogged for years), and I have torn my place apart looking for it to no avail.

What is it about spring that makes everyone want to do a spring cleaning? I sure need to, if only to streamline things before senility kicks in. My house has reached a critical mass of crapped-uppedness, and I need to fix that before I go crazier.

Best wishes to both of us!!!