Friday, April 3, 2009

Sleep Of The Dead

I don't often find myself sleeping more than 5 hours at any one time. Day or Night. But on occasion I will awaken to find that I have been asleep for almost 8 hours, like this morning.

I'm not sure when my sleep got so weird. When I had children at home I would get off of work, hurry home to take my darlings to school, come back home and retire around 9am. I'd sleep till about 245, get up, and go pick up those same darlings. Non school days were better because I would get to sleep till about 4.

The four years I worked day shift were mixed with sleep deprivation and that started about the same time I started taking anti depressants. I could only sleep four hours at a time. Max. I was tired all the time yet couldn't sleep, so then I was prescribed a sleeping aid. I never have problems going to sleep. Oftentimes, I feel as if I'm asleep before my head hits the pillow and I have a hard time remembering myself even going to bed. My problem is, I can't STAY asleep and once I wake up, I'm UP. With the sleeping pills, I still only slept 4 hours and then I would wake up and feel like crap from them. After getting the sleeping pills and them not working, I got an anti anxiety medication... then eventually an anti seizure medication because I couldn't quit crying. I tell people that I was high for about 2 years because on all of that medication, I was. Sad part is, I know I'm not the only one who gets shoved a handful of pills and then told to go make happy.

When I eventually got off all of the crappy medication and started working night shift again, the tiredness was much less. My most accomplished day starts with about 5 hours sleep. When I get almost 8... the possibilities are endless. Now, my biggest problem is switching from night shift hours to day shift hours during my weekend hours so I can get stuff done. The neighbors don't like it when I mow my lawn at 3am. This is probably not the best approach at staying sleep healthy, but in a world, or a city, that does not sleep when I do, some days it's a necessity.

No point to this post except that I slept really good last night.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear you slept well. That's one in a row, try for two!

Anonymous said...

Good deal!