Wednesday, April 8, 2009

See Ya Later Officer Guajardo

This morning ended the first of two weeks of me pretending to train someone. Last night was not so bad, but only because I decided it was our Friday and learning new stuff on your Friday is silly. Plus, it was a painfully quiet night and time was best spent getting to know my fellow co-worker.

I also had to say goodbye to a fellow officer who will be starting at a new department on Monday. It's so hard when good people like him leave. Sadly, we have lost a lot of good officers there. You see, we are on the lower end of the list of departments around this area when it comes to pay. We were at one time the lowest. I'm not sure where we stand now, but I don't think we are at the bottom. I might have to check into that. Our city completely covers the employee benefits, but dependent coverage is AWFUL and when you add the low pay on top of that, the officers that have children or wives end up eventually leaving because they just can't make it on what they get paid. But it's perfect for someone like me. Children are grown and I live in a barn so there's not too much money flying out my door. My bills get paid and I actually have a few items of clothing that don't have holes in them.

This young officer is one of the nicest guys I've had the pleasure of working with. He left behind a six figure salary to come work for us because he wanted to be a police officer that bad. But the having to work 7 days a week was starting to affect his home life and he new he had to move on. It will be a culture shock for him. It always is for those that have started their careers in our city and moved on. I was one of them. It's weird, though, because I never DISLIKED my new job. I loved it. Had they not made me leave, I might even still be there. I might have said this before, but going back to my old job was just like coming home. I know I'll be there till the end, unless life does what it does best and steers me in another direction. Who's to say what tomorrow will bring.

So... if you find yourself being pulled over by an officer and he comes up to your window and he identifies himself as Officer Guajardo, you tell him that crazy cat lady at his old job said to quit being a rookie and to be nice. Can't say that will get you out of a ticket, but I bet you would get to witness his beautiful smile and as long as I've worked around cops... if you can get one to smile, your chances of NOT getting a ticket are much better.To Officer G, if you ever happen to Google your name and find this post: Sorry, dude. This picture is just TOO funny. I was wishing I had brought my camera last night to take a picture of you on your last night... then I remembered MySpace... that evil, evil MySpace.

Fair thee well, Officer Guajardo, and as always... be safe out there.

No comments: