Wednesday, November 14, 2007

I'm In Flotation Mode

I am totally in love with Imogen Heap. Her approach to music is wonderfully different and her talent is obvious, as seen in this video: Click here to see greatness

We are at the halfway point in November. Already. Which means I'm going to wake up tomorrow and it's going to be Christmas. Yesterday the wind was BLOWING and this morning I woke up and thought someone had put me in a freezer because I fell asleep with the windows open and when I awoke, it was 40 degrees outside. The last week it's been in the 70s during the day and 60s at night. But we've had no rain, which surprises me since I'm very attuned to when it's going to rain. (I'll elaborate one day) But today dawned very cool and very sunny and the winds are calm and I think the high is only suppose to be around 65 or so. Should make for a nice day. I REALLY need to get outside and do some branch clean up after all the winds. And my yard could stand another go around with the mower... just to cut down the weeds, though. Grass has quit growing for the season.

When one is poor, they will find ingenious ways to get the supplies they need to stay alive. Honestly, I don't consider myself poor at all. I have a steady paycheck that comes in twice a month, I have the internet, I have a roof over my head and anyone that knows me, knows I'm not starving. Yeah, it's tuff having kids and paying for those kids is something I've never ever felt obliged to do, but willing to do because I love them so. I would give them everything I have if I needed to. My son, being the independent that he is, has made things easier on me by having a full time job. He's a hard working kid and he will never want for anything because of his hard work... no matter what he decides to do. My daughter... well... my daughter has yet to find her niche in the work field. With her classes this year, it's left her not able to work except on weekends and although this gives her a little money for gas and food, it leaves her nothing for anything else. I agreed this past year that I would be able to pay for her apartment each month. And I can... but it leaves me with no room for anything extra and saving up for Christmas is just not going to happen this year. Anyway... the whole point to this explanation is this:

When I'm running low on funds and I have nothing left in the house to eat and I'm HONGRY, I'll call up Pizza Hut and they will bring me food in exchange for a piece of paper that they call a check. This is what you would call, floating a check. In the olden days, you could float checks to the grocery store, your bills, or just about anyone. It's all part of living from paycheck to paycheck and I've perfected this through-out my life. As most of you might know, you can't float checks like you use to. Regardless of the piece of paper that you hand someone, now it's taken electronically from your account right then and if you ain't got no funds in da bank, you ain't be gettin no groceries or anything else for that matter. Simple as that. Our illustrious pizza delivery boys don't carry around check machines, so floating a check to the pizza guy is easy. I order my pizza online these days. I like to order online because I can take my time and choose exactly what I want and change my mind a lot without having to worry about pissing someone off who has better things to do then listen to me hem and haw about what I might want. I really like this. So I order me a nice hot pizza from the Pizza Hut guys and I await my food. It arrives and I hand the guy my check, which I've done many, many times before and he says to me, "Did they not tell you we can't accept checks because our check machine is down?" And I'm like... "I ordered online, so I never talked to anyone and no one called." And the delivery guy is feeling all bad because he can see that my face is drawn with hunger and that I'm looking at him like a cartoon character who hasn't eaten in a month and is visualizing him as a roast turkey. So I try the old, "Dude, I order from you guys all the time and I've never bounced a check." And he looks at the ticket and I guess it says how many times I've ordered with them and he said, "yeah, I can see that you have." So he tells me to call the manager and see if it's all cool that he goes ahead and gives me my food, because really, what the heck are they going to do with the pizza except for throw it away or give it away later? If they take my check now, they can always process the check when their machine comes back up, right? The manager said no. I thanked him nicely, apologized sincerely to the pizza guy because not only will he not get his 4 dollar tip that I included in the check, but he probably won't get his run money for the delivery and the more I thought about this whole thing, the more stupid it became in my head. The LAST time I ordered from Pizza Hut was for my daughter and I. After ordering, and after waiting an hour and a half with no response I called the store and they said they were out of black olives and tried to call but no one answered so we just got dropped. No one ever called my phone. It was sitting right in front of me the whole time. So... after these two past instances, I've decided that Pizza Hut, although I love their pizza above all others, will no longer be getting my business. I called Papa Johns last night, by the way, and was eating hot pizza and yummy cheese sticks for less the price in about 30 minutes after the order was given. And it was really good. The Pizza Hut delivery guy DID leave the 2 liter of Pepsi for my troubles. I wish I had the 4 dollar tip in cash that I was going to give him on the check for being so nice and knowing how stupid his manager was, but alas... that's the whole point of floating a check.

1 comment:

XOXO said...

I feel all stalkerish leaving comments on all your blogs.

Pizza Hut stinks. I prefer Papa John's anyway. Have you tried their garlic parmesan breadsticks? Dipped in their garlic butter or cheese sauce, they're SO yummy.

I miss the days of floating checks. I can't even do it with our rent check anymore. They take your check and do an automatic deposit. Sucks.

It's supposed to rain in a couple of days, I think. And next week, it's supposed to rain with temps in the 40's! I can't wait.