Friday, November 16, 2007

My Doorbell Is Haunted

There is nothing more disconcerting as when it is 2 am and your doorbell rings. For people who are a couple, this is a bit easier I would think, since there would be a witness to anything bad that might happen. But when you live alone, sleeping in bed with various felines draped over different parts of your body, you are sound asleep, and the doorbell rings, it can pump up your adrenalin so that after you get up, grab your phone, turn on every light outside of the house and look out all the windows, it's hard to get back to sleep. Why I was worried, really, still baffles me in the light of day. And here is why:

When my parents lived here, my dad installed a nice doorbell package. It is one of those wireless setups to make installation easier. The front doorbell ring is different then the back doorbell ring. Since the back door is used more often by family members (its the door we always went in when we were young and coming to see my Nanny) my Dad thought it appropriate that there be a bell back there as well. When I first moved in here, the back doorbell button's battery died and I've yet to find the kind of battery that goes in it. It's a weird stubby 12 volt thingy. So I took it down so people who came to see me didn't sit out there and push the back door bell and never get a response because the battery was dead. So last night, I believe the bell that sounded was the back door bell, which is always odd since there isn't a button back there. But in my sleep muddled brain, I second guessed what I had heard and then I wasn't sure which one I REALLY heard. So 2am turned into 4am before I was finally able to get back to sleep. Some days, being single becomes too obvious.

They both have randomly gone off before. Even my Mom was telling me about them going off in the middle of the night while they were here. Doesn't make it any better when it happens, though. I thought at one point that humidity was the cause. Seeing as how there wasn't any high humidity at 2am this morning, that theory was blown. I'm sure it has something to do with radio waves of some type and someone driving by or something. I dunno. But it makes me wonder how often it really goes off at night since I'm not here most nights.

It's back to work tonight and I just wish I had another two days off. There's nothing I really need to get done, but I just wish I had them off anyway.

I like this time of year because everyone loves each other as they snuggle by the fire:




And Spazz is ALWAYS by the fire this time of year!

No comments: