Thursday, November 29, 2007

The Joys of Christmas Past

Looks like I missed another post yesterday. I actually didn't even know I had missed it until I logged on this morning. Sorry about that. I suppose I'll double post again today to make it up to all of you! Yeah, it WOULD be better if I actually had something interesting to say, but I don't.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I had hooked up my old hard drive and had been digging in that a while back. Well... I dug in it a little more yesterday and all of the old photos I thought I had somehow not copied over from my other computer, I found. It brought back some interesting memories and feelings.

Some of the pictures I found are of Christmas, 2003. This was a Christmas that was kind of a big deal to me, even though it was 4 years ago. It's hard for me to imagine that it's been 4 years already...

In November of 2002, the love of my life and I decided to move in together. Seeing as how I had been divorced since 1990, this was a huge step for me. For years, my family would have Christmas at one of the family's homes so that one person didn't have to stress about it year after year. After Christmas 2002, and since I now had a family of my own, I decided that Christmas of 2003 was going to be mine.

I hadn't remembered much from that Christmas that I hosted... until I found these photos. It brought back memories of how it felt to live with S. and how absolutely in love with that man I was. I smiled fondly looking upon the pictures of my dining room before I had completed the remodel, yet not long after I decided I couldn't stand the way the dining room wallpaper looked ANY MORE! Which is why the drywall is prevalent in some of these photos. Why I thought I could finish the remodel before Christmas arrived, I still don't understand. And it actually didn't get finished for a while, since 7 days after I hosted my first family Christmas, my world pretty much blew apart. Possibly the main reason I don't remember this Christmas very well. Of course, looking at the horrendous dining room, no wonder S. left me.

I remember that Jynxy had just come into the family, so he was still a kitten. I remember the disaster that was my crock-pot hot chocolate. I remember how happy I was that day. I remember how perfect everything felt.

For those that may not know, I did eventually crawl out of my hole and finish the kitchen. I'm adding some photos of the finished product just to show you that no matter how much we may not want it to, the world keeps moving on. I really miss my dining room / kitchen.

My Son And My Niece:


Spazz And Jynx On The Christmas Table:


My Grandmother Not Long After She Broke Her Hip (This was the only time I have ever seen her in a wheel chair. She will be 104 in January and still walks upright)And My Dad:


The Christmas Table And The Drywall (Note the over abundant cat accessories pushed under the table):


My Mom With A Background Of The Beginnings Of The Texture Process I Had Started:


My Sister-In-Law And My Niece:


The Finished Product:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm really glad you found all your old pics on the old hard drive!!! I'm sure it brought up a bunch of bittersweet memories. Thanks for sharing these pics.

I forgot/didn't know that S left right after Christmas. The holidays can be super-damn stressful. I wish I had some words of encouragement, but at least I can assure you of this: it's not your fault. I know, it's a big pill to swallow, but trust me...

Peace