Monday, November 10, 2008

Heavy On My Mind

It's been 11 days since my friend died. One day for every year that I knew her. I'm still finding the death thing very surreal. I realized I've never had anyone close to me die before. I had a moment the other night where I found out something that she would have LOVED to know about... and it tore me up knowing I'd never be able to share it with her. I'm wondering how many of those kinds of moments I'll eventually have. I believe the only thing that has saved me from completely losing it is the phone conversation we had hours before her death. I will always and forever see that one phone call as a gift.

The consensus is, her death is going to be complications from pneumonia. I don't know for sure if this is what has been printed on her death certificate, but everyone I talk to that has heard about her passing has told me this. I'm okay with that. In the end... it WAS the pneumonia that took her life. But I think if Christy were here to write her own death certificate, I believe she would have written the following:
CAUSE OF DEATH: lies, cheating, broken heart, broken spirit, disappointment, hopelessness, darkness

She and I shared some very dark moments over the years. But in the end, I'm only able to see her smile and hear her laugh. Her tears were buried with her yesterday.

Christy Kopacz Haile Hayes
December 17th, 1967 - October 31st, 2008
She lived to die... she died wanting to live.

No comments: