Friday, November 14, 2008

No Budget Home Project - Part One

So I decided to paint a couple of weeks ago. Maybe just a few days ago. Can't remember. Anyway... my main purpose in painting is to cover up the cracks and holes in the walls because I'm tired of looking at them. Unfortunately, that involves more than just paint. I am always reading about all these LOW budget home projects, yet my low budget and their low budget ideas are two very different things. Since I have no budget, why not write something for others who want a no budget project to do. I mean... why not, right?

Because I'm lazy, or maybe because I'm a professional procrastinator, and the fact that I tend to start projects and drop them mid production and not feel the least bit guilty about it, the process in which I paint a room may differ than how the professional whatevers do it. Plus, this is no budget so we have to go with what we got folks!

Step one: Gather your necessary tools. No, not the friends you promised to get drunk if they would help you paint. Those things that men have a lot of, and women wish they did. After you've collected your various tools from various locations around the house (mine involved the bathroom, kitchen, bedroom, hall closet, computer desk) set them out to see what you got. I found old spackle, a putty knife, a pointy screwdriver thingy and various other things. I'll want some sand paper as well but it's packed in a box and I'll have to go get that later.
Step two: Stir your old spackle. Mine was really dry. I think. So I added water. And then some more water. A little more. Oh, crap... spackle all over the carpet! Stir your old spackle OUTSIDE. I know you don't want this stuff runny so be careful not to add too much water.

Step three: Move stuff out of the way. Because I still have to live in the room that I'm working on I'll do one section of the room at a time. I'm starting in the southwest corner of my living room. Just because.
Step four: Start working. I'm going to start at the holes where the Kitty Cam once hung out. I still have a few wall anchors I need to dig out of the wall. If you are wondering why all of the holes seem to be dripping, well... for some reason I thought wood glue would cover up the holes. I was terribly wrong. So don't do that.
So I spackled all the holes. I'll go back and do a second layer later to make sure everything is nice and flush. There's this big giant raised crack I need to attend to. It appears to have been patched before... a lot. So now I'm at a point where I need some caulk, a caulk gun, and a wall patch and maybe some wood putty to repairs around my ugly air conditioner. Maybe while I'm at the hardware store I'll find something to cover the ugly air conditioner. I have none of these things around my house. Which goes to show you can start out doing a no budget home repair, but inevitably, it turns into spending of the money.
Part two will happen once the supplies are bought. I have a decent idea of what color I wish to paint things around here, while I'm buying other stuff, I'm going to pick up some paint chips to make the final decision.

I HAVE to get a new mouse today as well. Have I ever mentioned how bad I hate spending money... and shopping?

No comments: